Friday, November 11, 2016

A Plan

I think my biggest failure with my garden is a failure to plan. Which is odd as I like planning, making lists and knowing exactly what needs to be done.

My goal for 2017 is to plan week by week a planting / harvesting schedule.

So here goes

My plot is 11 3' x 16' beds, 4 5' x 5' squares and a 9 small beds thrown in for herbs and small crops.  Sorry for the horrible picture, I have lost my beautiful CAD map.  The site gets excellent sun, shaded in late afternoon only in the height of summer.

The attractive brown area is the orchard, its since been seeded with grass and irrigation added. my poor trees are doing much better since.


Winter crops - February and March 
Hardy salad greens, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbages, leeks, peas, snow peas, beets, turnips, carrots, radishes  

Spring Crops -  April and May 
Onions, leeks, salad greens, spinach,  broccoli, cabbages, potatoes, radishes, celery 

Summer - June - September 
Peppers - King of the North, Alma Paprika, sweet potatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, zucchini, butternuts, acorn squash, pumpkins, tomatoes - roma, cherry and slicing, garlic, potatoes 

Fall -  Sept - November
Cabbages, broccoli, kale, lettuces, spinach, potatoes, radishes, peas 

for overwintering 
Baby leeks, spinach, hardy lettuces and baby kale, baby cabbages, potatoes

So its a sort of plan I guess lol 

I am going to enter it all into a calendar I think, and note a plan for each bed with a plant date.  One of my very favorite things about gardening is the prospect of next year, its always so full of hope and promise, even though I will probably plant 5 times as many things as we will actually eat. 

loves to all of you 

Linda 

No comments:

Post a Comment