Wednesday, November 9, 2016

It's been a while

Well I had a baby. End. ;) I did manage to have a fairly productive garden this year, although the onions and peppers were almost a total loss and the tomatoes didn't fair very well.


I am doing a seed trial though, we have had a very warm October, and so far November has been the same. Days in the mid 60's, low 70's and dry.

I direct sowed a bunch of seeds, mostly lettuces, kale, spinach, peas, broccoli, tuscan kale, raddicho, turnips and beets. A lot of these seeds were a few years old and I figured if they all die it's not much lost.  I mulched them heavily with leaves and grass clippings (all shredded by the lawn mower) and watered them in.



Next year I'm going to try this around the end of August / September, once I harvest all my onions and garlic they should be able to go in that bed. If it gets cold earlier I'll cover them with fleece (not plastic ) for those chilly nights, I think plastic gets too hot during the days, especially for lettuce.


Happy fall and looking forward to a nice rest this winter! until January lol ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment